• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

CPC CPC Exam

Nichola

I am about to sit the CPC exam next month and still having problems with op reports.
I would gladly appreciate any advice. I use the blitz videos my book is ready but still having difficulty.

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Coding from op reports improves with experience, because you train your eye to pick out what is relevant. Here are some general ideas, just off the top of my head.
  • Check for what the question is, that is, do they want ICD and CPT codes or just one or the other
  • Check for who you are asked to code for (anesthesiologist / both surgeons or one? / ED physician/ etc.
  • Pull out key words for the procedure / condition
  • Pay attention to site / age of patient / time frame / etc. because it might be important
  • For exams with multiple choice answers (CPC, for example) scan the multiple choice answers to help you decide what you need to look for in the report.
  • For exams with multiple choice answers, can you eliminate a couple of the answers because of wrong modifiers, or because code order violates Guidelines?
  • Learn to skim over extraneous sentences such as the type of material used to sew up the incision and "all sponges were accounted for" and other phrases that don't affect the codes.
With the CPC exam, there are many questions that are not OP reports, so even if it not your forte, you have good chances of passing, so keep the faith! Of course, it is always good to practice so you feel more confident.

I'd be interested in reading what other ideas / advice others have to offer on this topic!

Linda

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
Hi all,
I am reviewing cath codes tonight. Things have really changed from last year. Is the hierarchy 1) artherectomy - the highest in severity. 2) stent placement -second highest in severity 3) angioplasty- easiest of the three procedures. Is this the order ? I need to find some new practice tests to order. Did the class for 2012 but now studing for the test this year. Gee I sure didn't do planning on that one. Thanks. Have a great day. Linda